Cycle of Problem Gambling
Most people with problem gambling experience the following:
- Desire to escape emotional crisis – Most gamblers use gambling to escape the emotional crisis in life such as depression, anxiety, stress, shame, guilt, boredom, loneliness and other uncomfortable emotions.
- Desire for quick money – Many gamblers get stuck in a false thinking that gambling will help them get out of money crisis and ignore possible big losses or negative consequences.
- Gambling/Greed/Win Trap – Many gamblers will get the “Big Win” and eventually get hooked deeper into the game.
- Lose – Unfortunately, the “Big Win” does not last and the gamblers find themselves in losing streaks.
- Chasing the loss – The losses make the gamblers panic and despair, many gamblers feel desperate and bet more money to chase the loss.
- More Loss – The gambler is now in deeper despair because of more loss, which leads to more emotional crisis and financial crisis.
- CYCLE BEGINS AGAIN. Go back to step 1.
This is a never-ending cycle if the gambler does not get help.
The North Rivers Gambling Services in Australia http://www.nrgs.org.au/cms/selfdiagnosis/thecycle/15